Temporary Resident Visa

Every year millions of tourists visit Canada.

If your nationality or travel document does not exempt you from the need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), you will need to apply for TRV prior to traveling to Canada.

In assessing an application for TRV, Canadian visa officers focus on the reasons for the visit and the personal circumstances of the foreign national seeking admission to Canada. Visa officer will not issue the document unless they are satisfied the applicant is a legitimate visitor who will leave Canada at the end of the authorized period of stay.

All foreign nationals seeking admission to Canada for temporary residence must meet the mandatory admissibility requirements (travel documents/health/criminality).

Temporary Resident Visas can be issued for a single entry or multiple entries.

The following are not required to obtain a visitor visa to Canada:

  • Citizens of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brunei, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (National Passport holders only), Italy, Japan, Korea (Republic of), Latvia (Republic of),Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, United States, and Western Samoa.
  • Persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.
  • British citizens and British Overseas Citizens who are re-admissible to the United Kingdom.
  • Citizens of British dependent territories who derive their citizenship through birth, descent, registration or naturalization in one of the British dependent territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena or the Turks and Caicos Islands.
  • Persons holding a British National (Overseas) Passport issued by the Government of the United Kingdom to persons born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong.
  • Persons holding a valid and subsisting Special Administrative Region passport issued by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.
  • Persons holding passports or travel documents issued by the Holy See.