Family Sponsorship

Family reunification is one of the main objectives of the Canadian immigration policy.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor the application for permanent residence of a close relative. The successful applicant becomes a permanent resident based on their relationship to the Canadian/PR sponsor.

The Following relatives can be sponsored:

  • Spouse/Common-law Partner
  • Dependent Child
  • Parents
  • Grandparents
  • Brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
  • Another relative of any age or relationship if none of the above relatives could be sponsored, and you have no other relatives who are Canadian citizens, persons registered as Indians under the Indian Act or permanent residents and
  • Accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

In all cases the sponsor must first be determined eligible to sponsor

To be a sponsor:

  • You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.
  • You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident
  • You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.
  • You must promise to provide financial support for the relative and any other eligible relatives accompanying them for a period of three to ten years, depending on their age and relationship to you. This time period begins on the date they become a permanent resident.

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

  • Failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
  • Defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
  • Received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
  • Defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
  • Are in prison or
  • Have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

Other relatives, such as brothers and sisters over 18, or adult independent children cannot be sponsored. However, if they apply to immigrate under the Skilled Worker Class, they may get extra points for adaptability for having a relative in Canada.