The Self-Employed Persons Program seeks to attract applicants who have the intention and ability to become self-employed in Canada. Self-employed persons are required to have either:
- Relevant experience that will make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or
- Experience in farm management and the intention and ability to purchase and manage a farm in Canada.
Relevant experience is defined as:
- Participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics
- Farm management experience or
- Self-employment in cultural activities or athletics. Please consult the Related Links section at the bottom of this page for a list of activities that qualify. You will also find a link to definitions of terms that apply to self-employed persons.
- Obtain a minimum of 35 points in the selection grid
- Pass medical examination and background checks