The Immigrant Investor Program seeks to attract experienced business people to invest CAD$400,000 into Canada’s economy. Investors must:
- Show that they have business experience
- Have a minimum net worth of C$800,000 that was obtained legally and
- Make a CAD$400,000 investment.
The business experience required of applicant in the investor category is defined as:
- Managed a qualifying businessand controlled a percentage of equity of the qualifying business for at least two years in the period beginning five years before the date of application
- Managed the equivalent of at least five full-time employees per year in a business for at least two years in the period beginning five years before the date of application
- A combination of one year of experience described in the first point and one year of experience described in the second point above.
Qualifying business means a business—other than a business operated primarily for the purpose of deriving investment income such as interest, dividends or capital gains—for which, during the year under consideration, there is documentary evidence of any two of the following:
- The percentage of equity multiplied by the number of full-time job equivalents is equal to or greater than two full-time job equivalents per year;
- The percentage of equity multiplied by the total annual sales is equal to or greater than $500,000;
- The percentage of equity multiplied by the net income in the year is equal to or greater than $50,000; and
- The percentage of equity multiplied by the net assets at the end of the year is equal to or greater than $125,000.
Obtain a minimum of 35 points in the selection grid .The pass mark is rather low. The count actually starts from 20 points, since 20 points are awarded for meeting the basic regulatory definition of “business experience”. Most applicants will manage to collect the other 15 points required.
Pass medical examination and background checks- mandatory requirements applicable to any immigration application.
The CAD$400,000 investment is guaranteed by the Government of Canada and is returned after 5 years with 0% interest. Financing options are available through a number of financial institutions which have been approved by the government of Canada as facilitators of the immigrant investor program.